Search This Blog

Sunday, October 06, 2013

The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover


Just finished watching this movie and wow what an experience. I was a little apprehensive about watching the movie as I am not a big fan of movies which has theatrical drama feel. But this movie was a mind blowing experience. This movie has a surrealistic feeling which I have found in a David Lynch movie or a Kubrick movie and most of the time such movies will be difficult to understand. I wanted to give up after the first scene but I am glad I didn't give up.

The movie also portrays one of the most vicious villain in movie history. The character Albert Spica is one which will remain in your memory for a long time. He starts his villainy right from scene one and continues till the end. The utter disregard he shows to anybody, any values or any system was a treat to watch.

Though the movie deals with sadism and humiliation the surrealistic feels mellows it down a bit. The cinematography and art were a treat to the eyes. The way the movie mixes sex, food, death and dirtiness is something new in a mainstream cinema.

Other movies which passed through my mind while watching this one for similarity in style were Delicatessen, Eyes Wide Shut, A Clockwork Orange, Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet.

No comments:

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

 I like the old Godzilla and King Kong movies for the VFX and SFX they used to have. When I collected DVDs I bought them to enjoy those effe...