Search This Blog

Monday, November 06, 2006

DVD Piracy

Yesterday I went to a Car Boot sale. As I roamed around the place I noticed a person of oriental origin having a DVD shop spread out before him. I could see almost all recent movies spread out before him. He had a copy of 'Lady in the water' too. (i checked in amazon and found the official version is to be out only in jan, 2007). Then I realised that what I was witnessing is something akin to burma bazzar.

For lunch I went to Burger King. As I was about to finish my lunch there came another oriental person and he askd me something. I couldn't understand the first time so I asked him "what's it?" he replied "do you want dvds?". He was holding two huge bags in his hands. I replied "no thanks". Then he scanned the whole place for other potential customers and left. I saw him disappearing in the crowd with those two heavy bags in his hand.

Here in UK they advertise a lot against DVD piracy but I could see there the pirated DVDs spread out in public for sale. Here in UK atleast they mean what they say. It is definitley risky to sell a pirated DVD here than in India.

This post is not to argue about the morality of pirating. This is about the people who make their living by selling pirated DVDs. Its an accepted fact that piracy is at high in china and south east asia. Somehow those pirated DVDs find way into other countries and people has to sell those DVDs to make money. I thought about how difficult their job is. They travel to countries far away from their home and there they had to involve in jobs which are very risky.

He definitely will not be making fortune by selling those DVDs. He will be making just enough money to survive but for that he risks his life. Imagine walking through a crowd approaching each and everyone asking them if they would be interested in buying DVDs. Among that crowd will be the Police. One mistake and you will be caught. That too as a foreigner what are the chances of escaping?

From where do they get the courage? May be they are so desperate that they end up doing this job. I in no way support their activity its just that the need to survive feeling makes men take such risks. They are not bank robbers or high profile criminals who can live peacefuly after one robbery. They have to keep doing this for life long. They cannot be peaceful at any point.

3 comments:

K Praveen said...

DVD pirate: Sir, do u want DVD? I have got all nu movies!

Policeman: Caught ya!! i'll let u free. One condition - Deliver them at my home for free!

expertdabbler said...

Lol at praveen's comments.
but adhaaney unmai??

as you said, its desperation.

Life is never a fair game.

Dany said...

@prabhu

very true.

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

 I like the old Godzilla and King Kong movies for the VFX and SFX they used to have. When I collected DVDs I bought them to enjoy those effe...