Search This Blog

Sunday, April 16, 2023

Chennai To Mysore - Day 1

 I planned our annual visit in December 2022 for Apr 2023. I shortlisted Mysore and I booked my hotel Southern Star through Agoda. The train tickets were also booked in December 2022 for Apr 2023. 

Few days before the actual start date the scheduled booking through Agoda did not go through. My manual booking also failed and it was just one day before the actual travel, Multiple calls to Agoda and my bank did not go well and Agoda happily cancelled my booking instead of helping. 

Only during these calls I realized Agoda helpdesk is not within India and is from southeast. Just one day left for travelling and my booking cancelled I was left with no other choice to hunt for hotels on my own. Through some search I finally booked into Metropole, Mysore.

April 11th

April 11th I took Kaveri Express to Mysore. I had booked sleeper class and there was not much crowd and we settled into our respective berths. 

April 12th - Day 1

One of the issues I had to deal with was the check in time @ hotel. For Metropole the check in time was 1400 Hrs and my train reached Mysore at 0640 Hrs, The train reached on time and I spent close to 30 mins within the station. 

Mysore station is clean and has a clean toilet and there were lot of water outlets. I called Metropole and they were accommodating to drop in my luggage before check in time. I walked from Mysore Station to the hotel and dopped my luggage's there. 

I had my breakfast at Mysore Grand hotel which is very close to the station and Metropole. Then I thought of spending some time in Railway museum till the check in time. The museum opens only at 1000 Hrs so I had to kill some time outside the museum.

Mysore Rail Museum

When the museum opened we went inside. The museum has life replica's of trains and engines. The kids enjoyed them. The good thing is it is an outdoor museum. There is also a restaurant inside a train set up. There is also a playground inside for kids.

Around 12 we went back to Metropole and they helped us check in early around 1300 Hrs.

Royal Orchid Metropole

The hotel is very close to the station and it is on the main road. The hotel is set inside a natural setup surrounded by trees. It has a nice swimming pool, kids play rook and a gym.

Brindavan Gardens

After refreshing we wanted to hit the Brindavan Gardens by 1600 Hrs so we left the hotel by 1400 and went to have lunch at McDonalds @ Dasappa Circle. I was originally planning to take a cab to Brindavan Gardens and later realized there were buses from Dasappa Circle. 

We took 303 bus to the Gardens around 1500 Hrs. It takes around 45 minutes from Dasappa Circle to the Gardens.

It was very hot that day and we reached around 1600 Hrs and we went around the gardens. It was very hot and the fountains and Garden was a relief. Its a huge place and you need to walk around a lot. The musical fountain was under maintenance. We waited for the lights to kick it but only the dam had the light set up and the fountains were not lit as expected.

We left around 2000 and there are lot of shops outside the garden for buying gifts and to eat. We luckily got a bus as uber bookings never got confirmed. We had to stand the entire ride back to Dasappa circle. This route did not have much traffic so we reached Dasappa Circle around 2100.

We got down at Dasappa Circle and went to Ananda Bhavan for Dinner and settled for the night.

No comments:

Beautiful Boy